A magnetic filter is a device that attracts rust particles that have corroded inside pipes and radiators, known as sludge, and removes it from the heating system. This prevents the boiler, pumps and radiators from becoming blocked and causing the boiler to breakdown.
When a boiler becomes blocked, water flow is restricted, which will cause:
- radiators to not heat efficiently
- the boiler to make unusual noises
- radiators that are warm at the top but cold at the bottom
- radiators that need bleeding regularly
- the boiler pump to leak or begin to fail
- the boiler to stop working and display an error code
To remove the sludge, a boiler engineer may have to power flush the central heating system which can prove costly. Therefore a magnetic filtration unit will help by removing the sludge from the heating system, allowing the boiler to work more efficiently and save you money.
However, the powerful magnets inside the filter only attract ferrous metal particles (containing iron or steel) but do not attract the non-ferrous materials such as copper, zinc or aluminium particles which can also block the central heating system, therefore we advise that you add a corrosion inhibitor to the system to ensure that your central heating system is completely free of debris.
A corrosion inhibitor is a liquid mixture of chemicals which is added to the water in the central heating system as a treatment to prevent rust, sludge and scale which causes blockages.
The benefits of using a corrosion inhibitor include:
- Protection against rust, scale and sludge
- Helps prevent boiler breakdown
- Reduces the need to frequently bleed radiators
- Prevents radiator cold spots
- Increase efficiency of the entire system
- Prolongs the life of the boiler
- Saves on energy bills
To find out more about our central heating services, call Advanced Heating today.